How to buy home insurance, part 2

Detached and separate structures

Every admitted insurance carrier, those carriers that are authorized to do business in Texas by the Texas Department of Insurance, provides coverage for detached structures.  Some insurance companies also refer to this coverage as separate or other structures.  So what is it for?

This coverage is designed to protect any permanent or semi-permanent structure that is not tied in to or attached to the home.  Items that fall into this category of coverage are;

  • Fences
  • Storage & garden sheds
  • Greenhouses
  • Outdoor kitchens
  • Detached garages
  • Swimming pools
  • Cabanas & pool houses
  • Gazebos
  • Guest quarters
  • Barns & stalls (we are in Texas!)

The amount of coverage starts at a state mandated 10% of the dwelling coverage.  If the home is insured for $200,000, then the amount of coverage automatically is $20,000 whether the property has that level of detached structures or not.  Two things to remember are;

  • The amount of coverage can’t be lower than 10% of the dwelling amount
  • It can be raised if needed though

In cases where there is a nice swimming pool, a cabana or a detached garage with guest quarters, the amount of coverage can be raised to cover the replacement value of these items.

Part 3 of this series will be published next Tuesday, 7/31.  Thursday’s post is a surprise so check in and you’ll find out about something free!

Evie Wise
Evie Wise


Evie Wise
Evie Wise

Share this post with your friends

Leave a Reply