A couple of times a year, I’m asked by a client or prospective client if it’s true, the state of Texas has a free roadside assistance program. This is usually because of an email that’s been circulated (multiple times now) stating on the back of your Texas driver’s license that gives an 800 number identified as Texas Roadside Assistance.
Before you cancel your AAA membership or your roadside assistance coverage on your car insurance policy, let’s separate the fact from the fiction on what is provided and what’s not.
- There is a number for Texans & it’s on the back of your driver’s license
- The number is (800) 525-5555
- This service was established in 1989
- Please do not use it instead of 911, it’s not intended for that
- The service is designed to help motorists with a legitimate need for assistance on Texas roads
- The hotline is answered by Department of Public Safety personnel
- Information is then passed on to the nearest police department, sheriff’s office, courtesy patrol or DPS office
- It’s designed to respond to
- People stranded with car problems
- Hazardous road conditions
- Debris on the road
- Suspicious activity at a rest area
- Obviously intoxicated or dangerous drivers
This is an excellent service however, there are a few things to be aware of before you use it.
- Tow trucks are not dispatched at the expense of DPS or the Texas Highway Patrol. If a tow truck is called, you will have to pay the bill
- Our Texas Highway Patrol officers are not certified repair your car nor do they carry a tool kit with them
- For their safety and yours they do not perform repairs
- They do not carry a gallon of gas with them to help you if you run out of gas
- They do not perform locksmith service if you lock your keys in your car
The bottom line is if there’s a cost to be incurred, you will be responsible for paying the bill. Me, I’m holding on to my roadside assistance plan!
Have you used this service? If so, share your experience with us in the comments section or on our Facebook page at http://on.fb.me/MgrcXK .